Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Go Big...

And you know the rest and I know that I'm not planning on going home anytime soon (or at least till Saturday when my flight officially takes off). This first night was a "free" night. The conference officially starts tomorrow and we took tonight to go out and talk and get to know each other a bit more. And it was a great night. A night where we got to share our thoughts and dreams with each other. A night where we got to contemplate where it is that God might be calling us in life.

And when it comes to God and God's plans for our life, they're usually much larger than we can imagine and I got a taste of that today. In the grand scheme of things, I do know that God is calling me to the Lutheran church and to be a pastor. But what God is calling me to beyond that, I have no clue. As I've said before, I have no expertise when it comes to ministry, just a gut feeling that I was made to do this. And tonight as we shared our hopes and dreams with each other for the church, for our lives, and for our ministries that somehow became intertwined I can't help but think that we are all called to go big, to do our best, to give it our all when it comes to all of this.

Dreaming big is often scary because we don't know if we will be able to accomplish these dreams. Putting them out in the open makes us vulnerable because we have no idea if these dreams are realistic or plausible or if we're even qualified to dream such dreams. But I think we are called to dream nonetheless. We are called to use our God given imagination and creativity in order to dream big dreams and in order to accomplish that larger than life task that God has given us all. What that task may be for you specifically, I don't know. But, I think part of my dream is to be able to walk with you while you dream, to be able to encourage you as you dream, and to help you remember and engage that creativity and imagination that sparks those dreams. So, it's not only go big or go home, it's also dream big or go home.

No comments: